Saturday, August 3, 2013

Let's Face It, Most of Us Love Cheap Clothes -- and Don't Think Much About Whether Child Slave...

"Here is the shopper, agonising over ethical or cheap. What if they can do both? What if they can pluck two pairs of jeans off the rail and hold them up. One costs $30.80. One costs $31.03. It has a big label on it, which says "I'm proud to pay 23 cents more for these jeans. I believe everyone has the right to a decent standard of living. My jeans were made by a happy worker who was paid the fair rate for the job." Go further. Stitch it on to the jeans themselves. I want those jeans. I want to know I'm not wearing something stitched by kids kept locked in backstreet godowns, never seeing the light of day, never getting a penny."

via Facebook http://www.alternet.org/labor/we-dont-care-about-child-slave-labor?akid=10744.111476.5JmFVA&rd=1&src=newsletter875480&t=5&paging=off

No comments:

Post a Comment